As a school community, we have been through so much together since the start of this COVID-19 pandemic, and our students, parents & staff have shown incredible resilience and strength throughout this challenging time. We wanted to take the upcoming week to celebrate all things positive by exploring the themes of love, acceptance, diversity, and a sense of belonging – both in our classrooms and with whole school spirit activities! After the success and positive feedback from our Love, Acceptance & Empathy week last year, we wanted to revisit this concept with a renewed focus and appreciation this month, incorporating topics for Black History Month, pride, love, community and the importance of feeling that we belong – at home, in school, in our communities and beyond!
LOVE, ACCEPTANCE & BELONGING WEEK
Details for the upcoming week are outlined below, and there will be daily video announcements posted to our Facebook page and shown in homerooms each morning to highlight the themes, content and literature that accompany each day of the week. We encourage you to follow along at home and extend these discussions and celebrations with your families as well!
Monday, February 14th – “All You Need Is Love” Day
- Students are encourages to wear red, pink, white or hearts!
- “Kindness Runs Through Our School” – homeroom teachers creating paper garlands with each student writing a positive message or act of kindness that will be added to the schoolwide garland installation running through our hallways
- Valentine’s Day activities and card distribution in classes
Tuesday, February 15th – “Love Is Love” Day
- Students are encourages to wear the colours of the rainbow!
- Focus on pride and the diversity of families
- Candy fundraiser in the front foyer (details below)
- Templates distributed to all homerooms for students to begin creating their “puzzle pieces” for the schoolwide mural about all of our individual selves connecting to make this fantastic school community (activity runs throughout the week)
Wednesday, February 16th – “Love for our Community” Day
- Students are encourage to wear their B.E.S. gear!
- Candy fundraiser in the front foyer (details below)
- ‘100+ Things We Love About Our School!’ display being created – all students will receive a blue or white heart to write something they love about B.E.S.
- Homerooms will be writing letters/cards to be delivered to external partners who help make our school great (bus drivers, parent volunteers, outdoor supervisors, community organizers, etc.)
- Shhhhh… it’s a secret! During teacher presence time after school today, staff will be posting positive messages for students throughout the school to surprise them on Thursday morning
Thursday, February 17th – Diversity Day
- Students are encouraged to wear something that makes you stand out or show your individuality to celebrate our diversity!
- This is our day to let everyone share who they are and celebrate it, and we will be continuing discussions about Black Canadian and Indigenous history & stories
- Students will each begin placing their individual puzzle pieces in the ‘I BElong Here’ mural in the centre stairwell of our school
Friday, February 18th – “B.E. You” Day
- Students are encouraged to wear something that makes you feel comfortable and yourself!
- Pizza Day Fundraiser (details below)
- Students will finish placing their individual puzzle pieces in the ‘I BElong Here’ mural in our school
- There will be a schoolwide virtual assembly to conclude the week’s events and teachings
- After lunch, there will be outdoor activities & hot chocolate served to all classes to end our week
- Shhhhh… it’s a secret! Every member of our school community will be getting a new B.E.S. t-shirt with the slogan “I B.E.long here!” in celebration of this week and beyond. We hope they will arrive in time to end the week!
Pedagogical materials, resources & literature has been purchased and will be available for teachers to use in classrooms related to these themes & topics throughout the week, and as the year continues (diverse family backgrounds, black history, celebrating diversity, etc.). Teachers will be running daily video announcements (available on our Facebook page) and doing school wide virtual book reads related to our themes every day of the spirit week.
FUNDRAISING & COMMUNITY ACTIVISM
Fundraising efforts for the week will be focused on supporting the Breakfast Club of Canada. This organization has played a huge role in feeding and supporting our students this year, ensuring that each class receives a full breakfast basket every morning that is available to all students so no child is hungry or wants for nourishment. This national program is also partnered locally with La Mie Chez Vous, a Buckingham organization and catering service that provides meals within the community and handles the weekly food preparations and deliveries for our school among others in the region. This week’s fundraising includes:
- The candy fundraiser taking place at lunch hours on Tuesday & Wednesday
- All items priced between $1.00 – $2.00
- All treats are nut-free and individually wrapped
- Pizza Day on February 18th (all orders must be received by February 16th)
- We are also accepting donations for this cause should any families wish to donate to a worthy charitable organization that supports our students and many others
All monies earned through fundraising efforts this week will go back to the Breakfast Club of Canada and support the efforts of La Mie Chez Vous in our community.
STAFF APPRECIATION WEEK
As a final note, I wanted to inform (or remind) families that the week of February 14th-18th is also Staff Appreciation Week in our province and the WQSB. While there will be lots going on within the school to recognize and celebrate the incredible efforts of our amazing staff team, I wanted to also encourage students and parents to make it known how much we appreciate our staff for everything they do this coming week!
We are very much looking forward to what is ahead, and the learning and celebrations that will be taking place in our school. Here’s to a wonderful week focused on love, acceptance, belonging & all things positive. Thank you as always for your support, B.E.S.!